This dish is also a favorite of mine and mum’s! Perfect with rice, bread or just curry on its own!
Special thanks again to Nyonya Su Pei and Astro Comfort Food Recipes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4UEM2yF4Bo.
- Peel potatoes, cut into chunks (rough guide: 6 chunks per big potato, 4 chunks per small potato). Boil separately until cooked through (use a fork or cake tester to test). Drain potatoes and leave aside.
- Save the cooking water for later.
Rempah (Curry Paste)
- Pound: shallots and garlic.
- Add to pounded mixture: candlenut (buah keras for lemak taste) and 1.5 inch belacan, scoop up paste into a bowl.
- Add in coriander (ketumbar) powder and mix evenly.
- Add in cumin powder (eww chek) and black cumin powder (chor chek).
- Mix in turmeric powder and dried chili paste and set aside.
Ground black pepper
- Grind black pepper coursely and set aside.
- Heat lots of oil in wok. Fry Rempah in hot oil over medium heat. *high heat will burn the ingredients.
- Add 1 star anise, 2 cloves & 1 2-inch cinnamon stick. Fry until ‘pecah minyak’ (see a separate layer of red oil).
- Add chicken pieces.
- If needed, add in a little water to prevent rempah from sticking to the wok.
- Add potato cooking water until water level covers chicken pieces.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender. Keep stirring.
- Add Potatoes when chicken is cooked.
- Pour in coconut milk bit by bit.
- Add a little sugar & salt to taste.
- Add in Ground black pepper.
- Plate curry in bowl and let it sit until oil layer rises before serving (looks prettier).