Basic bulgogi sauce (For 500g pork):
- Mix together in big bowl: 1/4 cup soy sauce + 1/4 cup cooking wine + 1/4 cup sugar (1:1:1 ratio) + 1 big spoon of chopped garlic
- Add 1/2 tsp grated ginger and mix
- Chop 1 cup scallions and mix into sauce.
- Optional: 1 cup of grinded pear (food processor)
- Sprinkle pepper + 3 tbsp of sesame oil and mix into sauce.
Basic Bulgogi prep:
- Cut pork strips into 1.5 inch pieces (find out which pork cut to buy)
- Marinate pork with sauce *Tip:separate the pork and massage marinade into pork
Dish 1: Basic Korean bulgogi
- In frying pan, add pork and water. ‘Fry’ until water evaporates and pork is browned.
- Serve plain or with ssamjang and lettuce.
Dish 2: Gochujang bulgogi
- Slice scallions + onions + green chili.
- Add #1 to mixing bowl + marinated pork + 1.5 tbsp gochujang + sprinkle gochugaru (chilli powder). Mix well.
- Add mixture to frying pan + water. ‘Fry’ till water evaporates.
- Serve with rice or lettuce.
Dish 3: Jeongol style bulgogi (steamboat style)
- Slice mushrooms + onion + scallion (slice long) + soaked noodles (loooks like glass noodles)
- Add #1 to shallow pot with pork
- Soup: 1 small bowl of water + 2 tbsp soy sauce + 2 tbsp sugar + 1 spoon grinded garlic + a dash of pepper + a few drops of sesame oil.
- Pour soup over ingredients in pot and bring to boil.
- While waiting for soup to boil, use kitchen scissors to cut pork strips.
- Optional: Add kimchi to pot
- Serve with rice.
Dish 4: Japanese Gyudon
- Place bulgogi marinated pork in pan before heating. Add ‘soup’ from dish 3 (water + soy sauce + sugar + garlic + sesame oil), turn heat on. Use kitchen scissors to cut pork into pieces
- Slice onions and scallions thinly.
- Beat 1 egg
- Plate rice in serving bowl
- Once soup boils, place onions and scallions on top, add water if needed.
- *Optional: Bonito flakes pour on top
- Pour egg over, wait till egg cooks (like half boiled egg texture)
- Pour over rice
- Sprinkle chili flakes and serve
Dish 5: Mexican quesadilla
- Warm up leftover bulgogi (no gravy)
- Place bulgogi in bowl and cut with scissors
- Toast 2 Tortilla pieces (can replace with mandoo skin, big or small size) on frying pan (no oil), wait until one side gets fried and flip over
- Layer on 1 piece: Cheese (pizza or sliced cheese) –> bulgogi –> Cheese –> the other tortilla piece. Press down using spatula.
- Flip over to the other side. Fry until cheese is melted and tortillas browned.
- Cut into quarters or halves and serve hot. Can serve with Tabasco sauce
Dish 6: Gukbap (rice balls)
- Cut 3 day old leftover bulgogi into small pieces and heat up
- In large bowl: Cooked rice + bulgogi. Mix.
- Add sesame oil, sesame seeds and crushed seaweed. Mix well
- Put some rice mixture inside plastic bag, twist the top and shape rice into ball
- *Optional: roll in a bowl of crushed or sliced seaweed to coat balls with seaweed
Source: Home Food Recipes Season 2 Episode 12