Verdict: Home cooked comfort food 🙂
- In a small bowl, stir together: 1 tbsp oyster sauce, ½ tsp chicken powder, 1 scant tsp cornstarch, 2 tbsp water. Set sauce aside. *Original recipe says to add 1 tsp dark soy sauce, but that made the gravy very dark. To omit next time.
- Soak 3 dry shitake mushrooms in hot water. Once soft, slice and set aside.
- Use fruit peeler to peel strips of 1/2 carrot, slice into 1 inch rectangles or julienne, set aside in hot water to start the cooking process.
- *Optional: Slice 1/2 green capsicum into the same size as the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Remove 2 Japanese Egg Tofu from package and slice into ¾ inch chunks.
- Heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a skillet over high heat. *Important to use a non-stick pan to pan fry your tofu to avoid the tofu sticking to the pan and getting deformed during attempts to flip them.
- When oil is hot (it should shimmer), add the tofu.
- Pan fry, flipping occasionally, until tofu is browned on all sides, about 4 min.
- Remove the tofu with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the skillet with the remaining oil, reduce heat to medium-high. Stir-fry the 1 tsp minced garlic. Add in capsicums, mushrooms and carrots until they start to soften, and then add water to cook the vegetables. Season with a little salt, pepper and light soy sauce.
- Add the sauce, and stir into the mixture until bubbly and thickened, less than 30 sec. If sauce is too thick, add a little more water and stir it in thoroughly.
- Add the fried tofu and stir-fry carefully, making sure you don’t break the chunks of tofu, just until heated through, less than 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with steamed white rice.