Verdict: Tastes like the infamous Korean Spicy Instant Ramyeon! Very spicy with a kick!
Seasoning mix / Sauce:
- Add ½ cup chopped kimchi, ⅓ cup kimchi juice, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tsp sugar, ¼ cup hot pepper paste, 2 ts sesame oil, 1 or 2 tsp vinegar, and 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds to a mixing bowl. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Hardboil an egg, cut it in half, and set it aside.
- Cut about ½ cup cucumber into matchsticks and set aside (Optional, I didn’t use cucumber).
- Add about 200 grams of noodles (I used thick mee sua instead of somyeon) into a pot of boiling water. Stir them with a spoon to prevent them from sticking together. Close the lid.
- A few minutes later, they’ll start boiling over. Open the lid and stir the noodles. Cook a few minutes more with the lid open until they are cooked well.
*tip: You can tell if they are cooked by tasting one or two. The noodles are very hot, so add a few noodles to a small bowl of cold water to cool them down before tasting. The noodles should be chewy and soft.
- When the noodles are cooked, rinse them in cold water a couple of times, strain them, and set aside. The noodles will expand and lose their chewiness as time passes, so the noodles should always be cooked last in this recipe, and then eaten right away.
- Put each portion of noodles on a serving plate and add the seasoning mix on top. Add cucumber, egg and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
It will look like the below picture after mixing. The picture at the beginning of the recipe is before mixing.
Thank you: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bibimguksu